Hosted by Broke and Bookish.
The Topic for This week:
Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book.
Well before I begin I must forwarn everyone that NONE of these are 100%, but overall the following tend to be my "offs" for books. Once again, these are in no particular order.
- Expensive ebooks. I am cheap here. $2.99 or less is my theory. Anything more and I would prefer to buy a physical copy even if it costs more.
- Sad books/tearjerkers are usually not my thing. Once in a while, but over all no. If I am forewarned that I will need a box of tissues I probably won't read it.
- Westerns-not my genre. Just, no. Modern cowboys or even older books set on farms are fun. But saddle blazing, trail gunning men? Nah...
- Heavy Romance. Romance in a book if fine but usually not a fan of it being the focal point of a book. I need story! Suspense, family drama, anything to add to it.
- The author gave up on the series. If I hear this and find it to be true, I will never give the earlier books a chance. I don't care how good the series is. I hate when authors do not finish.
- Bland covers- Just the title is boring. I like when the cover gives me a hint of what the book is about. Also I am a color nut!
- No summary! Posting 1-2 review quips is fine but when that is all I see then I won't bother. I want to know ABOUT the book. Not what someone thinks about it. I can get online and look up reviews on my favorite blogs or Goodreads if that is the case.
- Books that are of religions not my own. Mainly non-fiction but even fiction if religious tones are too heavy and they are not of my beliefs I don't want to read it.
- Text speak! Also heavy slang use. So many young authors these days. I seriously wonder how many know proper English. Ever is not Evah. When a character is in first person I don't want to see OMG, LOL unless they are actually typing/writing it out! It is one this if a character is texting/writing or talking, but if they are not use the full words and use them correctly. So many youth struggle to learn as is, I hate seeing them think that what they read is correct.
- Political/War books. Both fiction and non. These just are not my thing. I find them boring often times.
Do you agree/disagree with any of these? Leave me your comment of what you think with a link to your list so I can return the favor.
I have several giveaways going on right now. Don't miss them. this is the most I have ever had running at the same time so be sure to join the fun. Links are in the top, right hand column (just above GFC Followers)!!!!