This was created to learn about the blogger, fellow bloggers,etc as a community.
Quick! Write 15 bullet points of things that appeal to you on blogs!
1. No music, noises or instant videos. I often have my own stuff on. If I want to hear things,
I prefer to push those little play buttons.
2. Proper (or at least semi-proper)
use of writing! When I go onto a blog and all I see is text speak, I do
not hang around. If my 8 year old brother can write better, don't expect
me back. Slang should be kept to a minimum. If I have no idea what you
are saying, I am not sticking around. Readers from ago 15 to 95 should be
able to comprehend what you are saying for the most part. Leave the other
talk for your twitter or text messages. Decent grammer. Typo's happen, but don't dumb it down. Write like you have some level of intelligence.
3. Originality-I get tired of seeing
the same stuff on EVERY blog. I love to see reviews on books few may have
heard of. Break away from the hype once in awhile.
4. Respect and Professionalism-I hate reading reviews
where the reviewer is attacking the author. If you don't like
something, fine but keep it respectful. Namecalling, foul language, etc
will have me unfollowing and avoiding a blog REAL quick. Posts do not have to be positive, nor do comments but try keeping in constructive or create is as a rant post specifically.
5. Tabs, Archives or other easy methods to browse reviews or other
posts. I like to see past stuff you have written. Especially if I
am new to your blog or it has been awhile since I have stopped by.
6. Links-Especially to Goodreads for sources. Sometimes I like to look up stats, or other reviews, etc.
7. Easy follow options. And yes I say options as I do
not like the follow by email (I end up auto-deleting them as my mailbox would
get too full) Some poeple like Google+, others Bloglovin. Wouldn't you rather people follow you via a method they will check?
8. A nice blend of colors, pictures and text. I don't want to feel like a five year old set up a post or site but I don't want to feel like I am reading a manual or textbook either. Reading should be FUN so make sure it looks that way!
9. No CAPTCHA. -If you want me to comment regularly turn this off. This is a hug time killer. Honestly, turn if off and see how many spam comments you get. Doesn't take much to delete them or moderate comments. Be kind to your readers. Don;t make them work harder to leave you nice comments.
10. A healthy number of posts per week. Post only a couple times a month and I will follow but won't visit too often and I will eventually be bored more than likely. Post more than 1-2 times a day is even worse! I have a lot of blogs I follow. I don't have all day to be at just yours. If you do 4 posts in a day, I almost assuredly will miss posts which I may find more interesting or higher priority to read.
11. Personality-I want to see a bit of YOU behind this. Get a feel for what you like, how you view the world, etc. Although on the flip side, be sure to get the facts in too. The post should still have a focus point and topib but I want to know your thoughts, feelings about it without turninv every post into s complete subject about you and the original point gets lost.
12. Balanced reviews. I love story plot. And some summaries are horrible! Some over dramatize the book while others don;t give it enough credit. I love to see how you see it. Also, character info. Who did you love/hate? Writing style? Plot loops? Layer your review with different parts or aspects. Also summarize or rate the book! I want to ultimately know what you though of it.
13-Responding to your readers. Comment back, visit their blog, email them, etc. Give back to those that comment and follow you.
14. Easy to load pages. When I am stuck looking at the swirling circle while your blog loads, I don't wait very long. My time is valuable and I follow many people. Simplify your blog or post enough so that is loads quickly.
15. Giveaways without mandatory entries. I hate wanting to enter a cool giveaway then see- Mandatory entry: your address. You do not need every address. Ask the winner for this when they have actually won. Not before. Same with mandatory entry to follow via a specific way. What if I don't use linky? I have no problem these being entries, but don't make them mandatory. Give your readers options on how they can enter.