Happy New Years everyone!
I hope everyone has enjoyed their holidays and is ready for a bigger, more exciting year than the last.
First off is in regards to the image above. Feed Your Fiction Addiction and It Starts at Midnight have created a fun was to encourage more discussion posts and this is the first one I have for everyone. To learn more about what they are doing just click the image link.
So this post is about New Years Resolutions and ways to make this year better.
I will share with you on two parts and would love to hear some of your own. Or, just feel free to let me know what you think of mine.
My personal resolutions are to:
1) Lose weight. I had a nasty injury a few years ago that had me laid up and not very physical and put on a bit too much weight and combine that with some thyroid issues, losing the weight is not easy without lots of work. Well I have had enough! Time to put in that work and get back in good physical shape. I did lots of research on good eating habits and learned what exercises can best help me and have a whole plan laid out. To help insure I keep up on it I have a reward system planned out, including a new wardrobe as the final reward. The goal is to be within 15 lbs of where I was prior to the injury by the end of this year.
2) Keep a cleaner home. I have realized that as I have grown older I want a cleaner place to live and relax at the end of a busy day. While some aspects of my life are very organized to a meticulous, bordering OCD tendancies, level; things like keeping up on laundray, dishes, yard work, etc tends to be pushed off. So this year I want to step things up. Nothing specific just to keep to better organized and to a level where I would be comfortable with surprise company on a more regular basis.
3) Make a new friend in real life. I am terrible about getting out and reaching out to others. I have been living in my current home for 2 years and while I have some family and some casual aquintance-type friends for select interests I dont' have a good friend nearby that I can call to just hang out with or anything My husband and I have some fellow board gamers we meet with a monthly and we are part of a fly group but don't have people to do BBQ's. movie nights, etc with. So hopefully that will be different by the end of this year. While I have friends out of town, having someone local around would be great so wish me luck on reaching out more to others and being less shy.
4) Start actually playing more of the video games I own. I tend to collect more that I play. It is sad. People come over and see lots of games then ask me what I think of them and I just often go "Uh, I haven't played that yet," and then "I haven't finished that one either" "Nor that one" So this year I need to get playing them. Goal-play and 'beat' (or become very familiar with) at least 1 game a month AND that before I get a new game (PC, console, etc) I must have completed at least 2 others first.
5) Start a veggie garden. Prioduce is getting expensive and we have a huge yard. This spring I plan to start setting up a raised garden bed in which I can start planting some of my own tasty food. Fresh tomatoes, squash, melons, etc. We already have some fruit trees planted so hopefully by next year we will be saving some money, while having healthy foods to eat!
And now for the bookish and blogging goals!
1) Finish listing all by books on Goodreads and Itrackmine. I have been working on this for 2 years. Time to finish. Hopefully by summer but maybe the fall. When you have several thousand books, it takes awhile.
2) Review more. While I read a lot, I still need to work on getting reviews out in a more timely manner. In this regards I may be taking less review titles this year in order to fully catch up and better balance my schedule. I think I got in over my head. When I first started this blog I was told about Netgalley and was told that I would only get approved for maybe 1 out of every 20 books I requested as a new blogger. WRONG! I went nutes making requests thinking most would be no and most were "yes." So within 3 months I had over 100 books to review. Combine that with a low resistance to collecting more I soon found myself overwhelmed and have just begun to dig my way out. So this goal is in three parts. Accept less review books to I don't get overwhelmed. review said books in a more timely manner and also to review more of what I read in general (library books, etc often bet pushed off the the side for reviewing but by the time I get around to writing the review I have forgotten many of the details I had thoughts on)
3) Be more consistant in my blogging. Right now, my posts are scattered. Some weeks you may see daily, other times only once a week. I am working on getting ahead of my posts so hopefully I will soon just have many posts scheduled ahead of time. Not there yet but progress is underway.
4) Commenting. I won't say much here as I have another post coming up to cover this more but basically respond to comments more here and comment more in groups, forums and other blogs. Hope to see you around more often
5) Finish more series'!! I have way to many underway. Sometimes it is waiting on a new release but other series' are finished. Between novels and manga's I have way to many in progress. So if a series is completely published especially I want to start completing them quickly.
6) Re-broaden my reading horizon. Lately I noticed over 2/3 of my books I have read are YA and while I love YA this blog was never meant to be strictly a YA blog and I kinda feel like that is what is has become. So I hope to bring a wider variety of genres and books for various ages. This blog is meant for older teens to adults. A place where anyone can come and find SOMETHING of interest. and I want to re-establish that better.
7) Learn how to better appeal to those who come to my blog. STARTING NOW. What would you like to see here or not see here? What should I continue doing, stop or alter? Be honest. I want a community feel here. Without readers and visitors this blog is just a review diary and I want it to be so much more.
What are some of your goals for this year? What do you think of mine? Am I missing any goals that should possibly be up here?